Subversion Broken for Now

Author Archive

Subversion Broken for Now

Monday, January 7th, 2008

If you’re running a production server with the trunk version (i.e. from Subversion), please realise that it will be broken for about another day or so while we convert to SimplePie (in the complete opposite of my other post).

We should be fully converted by tomorrow and a heap of new template tags will make life easier for templaters, especially those with a WordPress background.

Happy New Year / IRC Channel

Saturday, January 5th, 2008

Firstly, happy new year and holidays to everyone! We hope your holidays have been especially fun and we wish you a prosperous and joyful new year.

This is just a quick note that we’ve set up an IRC channel on Freenode. You can use this link if your client supports it, otherwise just join the #lilina channel on

If no one is there, just post your question anyway. We keep logs and check them daily and will try and contact you.

Also, the forums are currently being looked at and we are trying to decide on what software we will use. We’re currently investigating Vanilla (which we already use), bbPress and PunBB.

Why we can’t/won’t switch to SimplePie

Saturday, January 5th, 2008

This was originally to be a list of what was wrong with SimplePie, however the more I thought about it, the more I considered that it probably was a better solution. It’s under constant development, it’s got a few features we currently have our own code for and, best of all, it’s got an IRC chat room, which is always a help.

So, you may ask, what’s the big problem? Well, after having just looked at their blog (and realising they have released a new version), I noticed that they are moving to PHP5 only. This is a big setback in my opinion. My thoughts pretty much mirror those of Matt’s. However, we also need to consider users who can’t (or won’t) upgrade to PHP5, for various reasons. If SimplePie continues to release PHP4 compatible releases, we will most definitely use them in time.

My thoughts on SimplePie have changed somewhat and I’d now personally rather use SimplePie. Why?

  • Active development: I have access to Magpie’s Trac installation and no new updates have been released in a year. This is a major issue for me, as we want to keep this up-to-date so that we can parse everything possible. SimplePie is under active development so this would ensure that we are always up-to-date.
  • MySQL caching: Lilina is going to be using a purely MySQL backend from 2.0 upwards (we’ll start introducing support for it after 1.0), so this is a major one for us.
  • Friendly developers: The developers seem friendly and genuine (nothing against Kellan, but I don’t trust people who work for Yahoo! :P )
  • A bunch of other stuff I’m sure I’ve forgotten

So, the basic status on SimplePie is: we’d like to, but at the moment we can’t, due to it becoming PHP5 only.

New Domain Name

Monday, December 17th, 2007

As you may have noticed, we’re now operating from This will now operate as the permanent home for Lilina.

On a semi-related note, the wiki is now open for anyone to edit. Simply login to the forums and then visit the documentation pages to edit them. Some will be locked if needed.

We have also moved our mailing lists. Our latest Subversion commits will now be available from lilina-svn and we’ll be setting up further discussion lists later. You can view a list of all mailing lists too.

About the SOAP client and the Google API

Tuesday, December 4th, 2007

Google has officially stopped allowing new signups for their SOAP search API which was used in Lilina 0.7. Although we have removed it from 1.0, we still get many people asking why they are getting errors about the soapclient class and nusoap.php

The reason behind this error is that in PHP 5, a built in SOAP client was added with the same class name. This has effected other PHP applications which used the Nusoap class.

The simple fix for this is to comment out the line that says require_once './inc/google.php' ;
Simply add // in front of this line and it should work beautifully.

User Accounts Removed

Sunday, November 25th, 2007

I’ve gone through and removed all accounts on the blog here. They aren’t needed for commenting and as there’s no other reason for them, I’ve disabled signups as well.

I will be setting up integration with the forums so that if you are logged in there, your name, email and URL will be autofilled in the comments form. This should help with a few things I’ll be setting up soon, such as a central place to subscribe to feeds so sites can add “Subscribe to Lilina” buttons.

Lilina 1.0 Alpha 1

Wednesday, November 14th, 2007

I have just uploaded Lilina 1.0 Alpha 1 to Google Code. This is taken from revision 100 from Subversion.

Download it now.

I (heart) jQuery

Wednesday, September 26th, 2007

I added jQuery into the mix today. It should be able to replace all of the functions currently used in engine.js

As an example, expanding and collapsing items. Up until the revision 89, around 45 lines were used for working out what was clicked and changing it and the background. It took every click and checked whether it was needed. If it was, it went through complicated processes working out what to do.
With jQuery, it’s all handled for us, and the only code we need is:
$(document).ready(function() {

Review: We cut down 45 lines to 3 lines! Everything is handled for us now by jQuery and is about 4 times faster. Plus, it’s ultra easy to add new features, like the removal of date headers. Thanks jQuery!

Cache working

Sunday, May 6th, 2007

I now have the cache working. Seriously this time. It now also adds a comment to the top of the page with either Retrieved from cache or Generated fresh. This should aid in debugging.

Date sorting working

Saturday, May 5th, 2007

I now have the “show only from x hours ago” buttons working again.